Frequently Asked Questions

We’ve compiled a list below of the questions we are most frequently asked by our clients when planning a holiday to New Zealand.  If there’s anything that we haven’t covered, please contact us for more information.

When should I book my Holiday to New Zealand?

We recommend that you book your holiday to New Zealand as soon as possible, particularly if you are looking to travel during the months of September to April which tend to be the busiest months for tourism in New Zealand.

Motorhomes in particular book out very quickly over the Christmas/New Year period as well as School Holidays.  And for our range of tours where accommodation is subject to availability the sooner you book the better as demand is high during the summer months.

When is the best time to visit New Zealand?

Summer and winter temperatures vary by only about 10ºC over most of the country, making New Zealand an ideal holiday destination all year round.  New Zealand has four quite distinct seasons; Spring (Sep-Nov), Summer (Dec-Feb), Autumn/Fall (Mar-May) and Winter (June-Aug).  In summer there’s plenty of sunshine, and activities in and around the water include rafting, snorkeling, diving and kayaking.  You’ll find snow on the mountains in winter and excellent skiing.  Away from the mountains, New Zealand winters are mild and temperatures generally do not fall below freezing.

What’s the climate like?

New Zealand’s seasons are the reverse of the Northern Hemisphere. This means that the warmest months are December, January and February, while the coldest are in June, July and August.  Don’t let cold months put you off – winters tend to be short and generally fairly mild.

That said, on any given day the weather and temperature can change unexpectedly and sometimes dramatically.  You should be prepared for that, particularly if you are going hiking or doing other outdoor activities.

What clothes should I take?

Dress is informal and relaxed on most occasions.  Smart casual clothes are acceptable at most restaurants and night-spots.  Men are generally not expected to wear suits and ties, except in a few of the top formal bars and restaurants in major cities.

In summer a jacket and sweater should be included in your luggage should the weather turn cooler or you visit higher altitudes. You can expect some rain, so also include a light rainproof jacket or coat.  If visiting between May and September, pack warm winter garments and layer your clothing.

Do I need a passport or visa to enter New Zealand?

All visitors to New Zealand must carry a passport that is valid for at least three months beyond the date you intend to leave the country.

Most visitors who intend to stay for less than three months do not require a visa.  If you want to stay longer than three months, or your country of origin does not have a visa waiver agreement with New Zealand, then you will need to apply for a Visitor’s Visa.

Read our Passports and Visas section carefully, and if you need more information look at the Immigration New Zealand website or the New Zealand Embassy website.

Can I use my credit cards/ATM cards in New Zealand?

All major international credit cards can be used in New Zealand and Travellers Cheques are accepted at hotels, banks and some stores.  If your credit card is encoded with a PIN number you will be able to withdraw cash from automatic teller machines (ATMs) situated at banks and shopping centres throughout the country.  If possible only withdraw small amounts of cash at a time and always shield your PIN number.

Credit cards with “Smart Card” technology

Smart cards are payment cards that carry an embedded microchip allowing them to store encrypted, confidential information, and carry multiple applications from different industries alongside debit, credit, or prepaid payment applications.  Please note these cards, which often have no magnetic strip, are not accepted everywhere in New Zealand.  You may experience problems using these cards, and we therefore recommend you contact you card provider for further information before arriving in New Zealand.

Are there any poisonous animals in New Zealand?

New Zealand has no snakes or dangerous wild animals, making it safe for visitors to enjoy outdoor activities.

Is it safe to drink the water in New Zealand?

New Zealand cities and towns have excellent water supplies and in all cases tap water is fresh and safe to drink.  Water from rivers and lakes should be boiled, chemically treated or filtered before drinking to avoid stomach upsets.

What is the voltage of electricity supply in New Zealand? Do I need to take a converter?

Electricity is supplied throughout New Zealand at 230/240 volts (50 hertz), although most hotels and motels provide 110 volt AC sockets (rated at 20 watts) for electric razors only.  For all other equipment, an adapter/converter is necessary, unless the item has a multi-voltage option.  Please note that power outlets only accept flat three or two-pin plugs, depending on whether an earth connection is fitted.

Where are the international airports located in New Zealand?

New Zealand’s international airports are at Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. Some flights from Australia also land at Hamilton,Rotorua and Queenstown.

Where is the capital of New Zealand?

Wellington is the political, banking and financial centre for New Zealand.  The Parliament building known as the ‘Beehive’ is one of the city’s top attractions.  The National Archives, National Library and Old Government Buildings (the second largest wooden building in the world) are located nearby and are open to casual visitors free of charge.

What is a ‘Kiwi’?

The Kiwi, New Zealand’s national emblem, is a flightless bird with hair-like feathers and a long, slender bill which it uses to pull worms and insects out of the ground.  Found only in New Zealand, it is active at night in the wilderness areas of the country.  Be sure to visit one of the many kiwi houses where you can watch them under special ‘nocturnal’ lighting.

New Zealander’s often refer to themselves as Kiwis, and the term is also used as a short form for the famous kiwifruit.  On the stock exchange, the New Zealand Dollar is also referred to as ‘The Kiwi’.

What kind of night-life is available in New Zealand?

Lively DJ and band scenes, particularly in the larger cities, have given New Zealand’s night life a renewed vibrancy.  You will find a variety of night-clubs, cabarets, pubs, concerts and live performances to choose from, and there are also four casinos, in Auckland, Hamilton, Christchurch, Dunedin and Queenstown.

What types of activities are available for children?

If you are thinking about visiting with your family, you can be confident that New Zealand has a wide range of activities to keep your children happy.

New Zealand’s parks and large areas of unspoilt wilderness are ideal places to expand your children’s appreciation of wildlife and the outdoors.  Horse riding, snow activities, whale watching, fruit picking and wildlife centres and zoos are just some of the choices available.

If you are visiting the larger centres, you will find a range of themed attractions including Rainbow’s End (Auckland), Splash Planet (Hastings), Marine Land (Napier) and the International Antarctic Centre (Christchurch).  Te Papa, New Zealand’s interactive national museum, has a range of activities for the whole family to enjoy, including Story Place, a haven for small children.

Most family restaurants have children’s’ menus and high chairs.  Many cafes also have high chairs, and a toy basket to amuse babies and toddlers is becoming increasingly common in both cafes and shops.  Most public gardens have well equipped play areas for young children, as do many holiday parks.  Adventure playlands such as Chipmunks or Lollipop’s Playland are always popular with the very young – these can be found in most main centres.

When are School Holidays in New Zealand?

The most up to date details for School Holidays in New Zealand can be found on the Ministry of Education Website .

Do I need an International Drivers License?

If you have a drivers license issued in a language other than English, the answer is yes you will have to get an International Drivers License or a translation of your license before arriving in New Zealand.

The New Zealand Transport Agency outlines the requirements which must be met in order for a visitor to NZ to drive on our road, details of license requirements can be found at: NZ Transport Agency.

New Zealand Package Tours – click here to view more.

New Zealand Activities – click here to view more.